Dear Families, Partners, and Colleagues,
I have some very exciting news to share: Beginning April 22, Dr. Stephen Mahoney will be Holyoke’s Assistant Superintendent. Many of you know Dr. Mahoney through the various roles he has had in HPS, first as Executive Principal of Holyoke High School (2017-2020) and more recently as he has served in two roles concurrently, Chief of Schools and Executive Director of School Leadership (EDSL).
Why does HPS need an assistant superintendent? Through my entry plan process, one of the recurring themes was the need for greater coordination of central functions that support student learning, and the role of Assistant Superintendent will help address this. We will eliminate the Chief of Schools position.
Dr. Mahoney is the right person for the job, and this change is coming at just the right time—as we embark on multi-year strategic planning efforts that will guide the future of HPS for the next few years and beyond.
This week’s Holyoke Update includes the following:
- Dr. Stephen Mahoney appointed as new HPS assistant superintendent
- Why acceptance, not awareness, is essential for those with autism
- Kelly School 4th graders learn far more than kindness with classroom project
- Holyoke High Herald: Spotlight on Taleishka Morales Babilonia
- School Building Committee April 4 meeting update
- Preschool lottery closes today for priority access to neighborhood schools
- Dual Language program accepting lottery applications
- Families are encouraged to enroll eligible children in kindergarten
- Employment opportunities
- Cone of Excellence awarded to Jessica Askew, BCBA, and Kimberly Longe, Special Education Team Leader, McMahon School
- COVID-19 updates
- Holyoke High School
- College Counseling
- Holyoke High School Dean Campus
- Holyoke High School Opportunity Academy
- Events calendar
Mr. Anthony Soto, Superintendent