Dear Families, Partners, and Colleagues,
Thanks to a relatively mild winter, our 2021-2022 school year will come to a formal end a few days early this year, with our last day of classes set for Thursday, June 16. Our high school seniors at North and Dean concluded their school year last week, with their graduation ceremonies on June 5 and June 2 respectively. Our Opportunity Academy seniors graduate next Thursday. All of our graduates stand tall and proud in my mind, and no matter where they go and what they do from here, they will all bring pieces of Holyoke with them.
We wish everyone a restful and restorative summer. We extend deep appreciation to our staff who will be hard at work in July and August helping us prepare for a strong start to the 2022-2023 school year, which resumes for students on August 29.
All staff will take the day off on Monday, June 20, as the district honors and recognizes Juneteenth, an annual celebration of the end of slavery in the United States upon the conclusion of the Civil War on June 19, 1865. Juneteenth became an officially recognized federal holiday last year, 156 years after the Civil War ended.
Let’s also take this moment to reflect on Pride Month, which runs throughout the month of June with events, activities, and gatherings that reflect real struggles by real people who have worked arduously to overcome prejudice and be accepted for who they are. Here in Holyoke Public Schools, we support Pride Month fully. We have pledged our commitment to respect, embrace, and honor the diversity of our students, families, staff, and community—today, tomorrow, and every day of the year.
This week’s Holyoke Update includes the following:
- Last day of school set for June 16
- City council approves moving forward with new middle school planning process
- Details of new Strategic Plan to be released on Monday
- Class of 2022 bids fond farewell to Holyoke High School North
- Students at Dean and North inducted into national honor societies
- Summer is a cool time to keep learning–so enroll now!
- One hardworking student can still win a new car from Gary Rome Hyundai
- Employment opportunities
- Cone for Excellence awarded to Ms. Rhyz, Music Teacher, Kelly School
- COVID-19 updates
- Holyoke High School
- College Counseling
- North Campus
- Events calendar
Mr. Anthony Soto