The communications department manages all internal and external communications of the Holyoke Public School District. The department sets the guidelines for all communications to consistently articulate Holyoke Public Schools’ mission and core values to families, staff, partners and stakeholders.
The communications department is responsible for publishing to the following district communications platforms: Channel 12 TV, The Holyoke Updates, press releases, bulletin board messaging, event streaming, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube) and the district’s annual Connections District Brochure.
If you would like to be added to the Holyoke Update or Connections distributions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exciting news! The Holyoke Public Schools is pleased to announce that our district brochure, Connections, has received the APEX 2020 Award for Publication Excellence. The annual competition for communications professionals has been in existence for 31 years, “recognizing excellence in graphic design, editorial content and the ability to achieve overall communications excellence.”
Read more about this award.
Media in our Schools
Media in our Schools
- Interviewing School Officials: HPS staff is prepared to discuss current and important issues with reporters. If you are interested in interviewing an HPS employee, your first point of contact is with the communications department. We are glad to help you find the correct resource for your story and arrange an interview time.
- Visiting Schools: HPS staff expects the communications department to be involved in communication between reporters and schools. If you would like to visit a school, please contact the communications department. We will work with your schedule as well as that of the students and staff in order to ensure that your visit is a successful one. Keep in mind that all of our schools participate in early dismissal days, standardized testing and school-wide events that may prohibit your visit on a specific day. When scheduling with communications, please offer a few available dates to visit the school.
- Photographing Students and Staff: HPS operates in compliance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. This law allows students and parents to opt out of the release of certain information about students including photographs. The communications department will work with each school to determine who cannot be photographed and interviewed according to FERPA guidelines. Before taking photos, video and quotes from HPS students and staff, please verify the legality of photographing these individuals with the communications department.
Policy on Flyers
Materials submitted to the Holyoke Public Schools for posting/distribution to students or their families by outside organizations or individuals are not to be posted/distributed unless written authorization is given in advance by the Director of Communications or his/her designee. The Director of Communications shall develop and maintain a process by which literature posting/distribution through the schools by school-related, non-profit organizations is controlled in a manner consistent with the interests of the children of the school system as well as the community at large.
- Materials from any source outside the Holyoke Public Schools shall be approved or disapproved each time the material is presented to the District.
- An exact copy of the literature to be posted/distributed in English and Spanish should be emailed to the Superintendent’s Executive Assistant, Sam Garcia at email@example.com along with specific details about the intended audience and the method of posting/distribution.
- Only materials from school-related, non-profit organizations will be considered for approval.
- Organizations should allow for at least five business days for approval.
- Upon approval, the District will provide the organization with an approval notification that they can share with schools posting/distributing materials.
- Organizations whose materials are approved by the Director of Communications are responsible for bundling and delivering materials to the schools.
- All flyers to be posted/distributed must include the following disclaimer:
The (Insert program name) is not a program or event sponsored by the Holyoke Public Schools. The District has neither reviewed nor approved the program, personnel, activities, or organizations announced in this flyer. Permission to post/distribute this flyer should not be considered a recommendation or endorsement by the District. Although approving posting/distribution of this information, the District does not assume responsibility for the content or activities described herein.
El (Insertar nombre del programa) no es un programa o evento patrocinado por las Escuelas Públicas de Holyoke. El distrito no ha revisado ni aprobado el programa, el personal, las actividades o organizaciones anunciadas en este folleto. El permiso para publicar/distribuir este folleto no debe considerarse como una recomendación o aprobación por parte del Distrito. Aunque aprueba la publicación/distribución de esta información, el Distrito no asume responsabilidad por el contenido o las actividades descritas en este folleto.
* Note- Non-School Sponsored Literature means and includes all information that is not produced by the Holyoke Public Schools, any school within the District or a formally recognized extension of the District or any such school (e.g., PTOs, Booster Organizations, etc.).
See more at School Committee Policy File: KHC – DISTRIBUTION OF FLYERS
Chief of Strategy and Turnaround
Media Center Director
Holyoke Public Schools Media Center
Holyoke High School North Campus
500 Beech Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
Update Your Contact Info
HPS Families, do we have your most recent contact info? You can update it with this form quickly and be sure to get all of the HPS updates.