The School Choice priority round lottery is open from April 1 to June 26, 2020.
All school-age children who live in Massachusetts are entitled to attend a public school free of charge. Most children attend school in their home district, which is the school district in which they live. The School Choice Program at Holyoke Public Schools (HPS) allows parents an opportunity to have their children attend our schools while residing in a surrounding town. This program is made possible by the provisions of the M.G.L. Chapter 76: Section 12, otherwise known as the “School Choice Law, which allows HPS to claim a tuition reimbursement from the home district of every student enrolled in the program. As a result, HPS is able to have additional resources to better serve all students in our district. If a student currently attending HPS moves to a surrounding town and wants to continue attending Holyoke Public Schools, the family must complete a School Choice application. Parents are responsible for transporting their students to school on time every day.
It is the policy of this School District to admit non-resident students under the terms and conditions of the inter-district School Choice Law (M.G.L. 76:12) and under the following local conditions:
- That by May 1 of every school year, the administration will determine the number of spaces in each school available to choice students.
- That by June 1 of every school year, if consideration is being given to withdraw from the provisions of the choice law, a public meeting will be held to review this decision.
- That the selection of non-resident students for admission be in the form of a random drawing when the number of requests exceeds the number of available spaces.
- Any student who is accepted for admission under the provisions of this policy is entitled to remain in the District until graduation from high school except if there is a lack of funding of the program.
- The School Committee affirms its position that it shall not discriminate in the admission of any child on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, ancestry, athletic performance, physical handicap, special need, academic performance or proficiency in the English language.
LEGAL REFS.: M.G.L. 71:6; 71:6A; 76:6; 76:12; 76:12B..