School Closure Resources
- 5-14-20 Special Education Update
- HPS Special Education Contact Listing
- Concerns or need assistance? Please feel free to use the Help Request Form and a member of our team will reach out to you.
- Covid-19/Coronavirus Communications, food and social services resources, remote learning, and more.
Home and Hospital Bound Educational Services
McKinney-Vento Homeless Services
McKinney-Vento Homeless Program facilitates programs serving legally homeless children and their families. We offer assistance with transportation to/from school, meals, and assistance to obtain health care and needed services. The Homeless Student Form is available in English (pdf.) and En Español (pdf.). Contact Jennifer Gonzalez, Homeless Educational Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-534-2000 X220.
Maintain Student Records in compliance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Child Find: The purpose of Child Find is to seek out and identify all children between 3 through 21 years of age who are suspected of having a disability and may require special education services under the IDEA, including students who are not currently enrolled in a HPS education program, in nonpublic schools, and highly mobile students such as migrant and homeless students. The Child Find process begins with a referral for an evaluation. (Information about screening dates.)
- IEP Eligibility Flow Chart (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Resources:
- Parent Information – special education/IDEA, Section 504/ADA, organizations and resources within Massachusetts
- E-learning module – A Parent’s Guide to Special Education in Massachusetts
- Guidelines regarding referral, evaluation, and eligibility determination for special education services
- Guidelines regarding Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Disability Definitions and Related Links
- Secondary Education Special Education
- IEP Process handbook (pdf.)
- Information and resources from the U.S. Department of Education
- FAQ: Frequently asked questions about Section 504 and the Education of Children with Disabilities
- FAPE: Free and Appropriate Public Education for Student with Disabilities
- Transition Planning – what a transition looks like from school to adult life
Bully Prevention and Intervention
The Department oversees the schools Bully Prevention and Intervention Plan and collects all relevant information regarding the reporting and investigations of incidents.
Need to contact the bus company, Durham School Service? Call 413-315-4119.