About Mr. Soto, Acting Receiver/ Superintendent
Anthony Soto was appointed Acting Receiver/ Superintendent of Holyoke Public Schools on March 19, 2021. He will work with Holyoke staff and leaders to implement the district turnaround plan and complete the school year safely and effectively.
A proud graduate of Holyoke Public Schools (1999), Mr. Soto is also the Chief Financial and Operations Officer for the Holyoke Public Schools, a role he has held since 2016. He holds a Master’s Degree in Accounting from the Isenberg School of Management at UMASS Amherst and has his license as a Superintendent and certified business administrator in the state of Massachusetts. He is accountable for the financial and operational health of the $125+M school system, serving about 5,300 students across 11 schools. Mr. Soto oversees the financial, grants management, facilities, custodial, maintenance, transportation, security, food service, technology and information systems functions of the organization. In his first year in this position, he closed a $5M budget gap with very minimal impact at the classroom level. The savings came through more efficient and streamlined operations. Mr. Soto is also keenly focused on developing leaders within the finance and operations teams (and is a strong advocate for promoting and developing people from within), implementing more effective processes and systems and providing the highest quality service to schools.
For nearly 10 years, Mr. Soto worked for the Springfield Public Schools. He began as a financial analyst and was promoted to Budget Director. Under his leadership, he managed 7 financial analysts, supporting 52 schools across the district, and managed award-winning budgets of $400+ million per year. Prior to Springfield Public Schools, he worked in public accounting for PriceWaterhouseCoopers as a senior audit associate.
Mr. Soto is also a Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official through the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office and School Business Administrator through the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE). He was selected by DESE to be in the first cohort of Influence 100 Fellows and has nearly completed this two year fellowship. Influence 100 is a fellowship program for educators who desire moving into the superintendent role in the next five years, and supports school districts to become more culturally responsive.
- Influence 100 Fellow (selected by DESE, a member of the first cohort)
- Clerk/Board Member at Valley Opportunity Council
- Treasurer/Board Member at MassHire Holyoke
- Coach in the Holyoke Youth Baseball League for his son’s team.
Achievements, Awards, and Special Recognitions
- Salutatorian at Dean Technical High School (1999)
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Led Springfield Public Schools team in winning the meritorious budget award and the GFOA distinguished budget award 4 years in a row
- Life-long resident of Western Mass (mostly in Holyoke) and is especially proud to be of service to the community in which he grew up and in which he is raising his own son.