Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment classes are college classes that high school students can take. Students get both high school and college credit for these courses.  Taking a Dual Enrollment class is a great way to get a taste of what college classes are like. Students who take these classes are often more prepared to take on what college has to offer.

Who is eligible to take Dual Enrollment classes?

Students must be juniors or seniors in high school

Students must meet any other requirements of the college they plan to take a class at.

Most colleges require a minimum grade point average:

  • Holyoke Community College (HCC): Minimum 2.5 GPA*
  • Springfield Technical Community College: Minimum 2.0 GPA
  • UMASS Amherst: 3.2 GPA for courses taken at UMASS; NO minimum GPA for UMASS classes offered at HHS
  • Westfield State University: 2.5 GPA*

*These colleges may admit students who have between a 2.0 and a 2.5 GPA if the student is recommended by the guidance counselor.

HHS currently has relationships with HCC, STCC, UMASS and Westfield State and our students may apply to take a Dual Enrollment class at any of these colleges. If you wish to take a class at a different college or university, you must apply directly with that college or university.


Deadlines vary by college and you should check with the college or your guidance counselor to have exact deadlines.

  • Application deadlines for fall semester is usually in late June
  • Application for spring semester is usually in early December
  • Application for summer term is usually in early May
  • Applications for HCC and STCC can be found on their websites (see below). The guidance office has applications for other colleges. Applications require the signature of the parent/guardian and the guidance counselor. An official transcript must be sent with the application.
  • Apply early to guarantee your spot!

How much will this cost?

Most dual enrollment classes are FREE to you! The colleges have funding that covers the cost of your class!*

HCC asks that all students fill out a financial aid application called the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov) in order to guarantee their spot in the class.

Dual Enrollment students are responsible for purchasing the books for their class unless otherwise instructed. Exceptions:

  • HCC Dual Enrollment students who complete a FAFSA may receive a voucher to pay for their book
  • Books may be covered by HHS or by the college if the class is offered at Holyoke High.
  • If buying a book is an obstacle for you, speak with the college that you are taking a class with. They will work with students to help as much as possible.
  • Transportation to and from the college is the responsibility of the student. HCC and STCC will provide Dual Enrollment students with bus passes if needed.

*UMASS Amherst typically charges $20 per class

Students who take a Dual Enrollment class may have their schedule adjusted if this is possible. It is essential that the student speak with their guidance counselor as soon as he or she applies for a Dual Enrollment class in order to understand how the HHS schedule must be adjusted.

More information:

STCC Dual Enrollment programs

HCC Dual Enrollment programs

Westfield State course offerings  (students may choose undergraduate classes that do not have prerequisites)

UMASS Amherst-See your guidance counselor

Contact Us

Kim Izquierdo

Print Friendly, PDF & Email