Superintendent’s Office notices for Holyoke Public Schools families.
- Attendance Awareness – It is important for students in all grades to remember that success in school begins by attending school all day, every day throughout the school year. We remind families to return a signed copy of the Attendance Success Plan that was recently sent home in backpacks. It is critical for families to discuss the HPS attendance policy, to set attendance expectations with their students, and to establish good habits and plans to attend school every day and on time. Click here to view a video of HPS parent volunteers, students, teachers and staff discussing how establishing these good habits leads to academic success.
- Holyoke Gets Green Light from State to Move Forward With Middle School Feasibility Study – A community meeting has been scheduled for February 13th – 6 P.M. in the cafeteria at the H.B. Lawrence School, 156 Cabot St, to engage residents in what Jones Whitsett Architects refers to as the “preliminary visioning process.” Parents, students, and members of the community are strongly encouraged to participate in this interactive format. See flyer. Read press release for more information about the feasibility study.
Next year, Holyoke High School will be launching its new “Linked Learning Academies” for tenth-grade students. The Academy model offers students more of a chance to study topics that interest them, as well as connecting those topics to both career sectors and the academics of high school. The four academies are Performing and Media Arts, Medical and Life Sciences, Community and Global Studies, and Technology, Engineering, and Design. Once a student selects into an academy, they will take 1-2 additional courses in their academy theme. These courses will be “linked” to a core academic class. Students in the Medical and Life Sciences Academy, for example, might complete a project in their Biology course that draws on the knowledge they gained in their Medical academy course. While students will still be completing the requirements for graduation (English, Math, Science, History, etc), the academy courses will give students a chance to apply and deepen their learning. The most important choice for eighth-grade students to make this year is to decide what campus to attend next year – North Campus (500 Beech Street) or South Campus (1045 Main Street). During their ninth-grade year, students will be exposed to content and work-based learning experiences of the academies so they can make an informed choice of which academy to choose before entering tenth-grade. Read more about high school redesign, view FAQs, and video of public information sessions. Additional public information sessions will be held at individual schools beginning in January. For questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.
- School Committee Meeting – February 12th, 6:00 p.m., Wm. J. Dean Technical High School
- Become a FAMILY BOOK CLUB FACILITATOR! Your commitment will be to co-facilitate 6-week family book clubs at different schools and community sites in April-May or in the summer. Training dates: Tuesdays – February 13, 27, March 6, 13, 20, 27.
- Free Nutrition Classes for Parents and Community Members – Wednesdays at the Holyoke High School Cafeteria, on Wednesdays 9:30 – 11:30 AM – February 7th, 14th, 28th, and March 7th, 14th, and 21st – Cooking Demos & Meal Tastings! The University of Massachusetts Extension Nutrition Education Program promotes healthy eating by providing nutrition and food safety education. The CHOICES: Steps Towards Health curriculum emphasizes eating a variety of foods, being physically active, taste-testing healthy recipes, handling food safely and enjoying foods in moderation. Contact: Nelmarie Core 413-534-2020 x 1152.
- SPED Pac Meetings
- February 15th at Sullivan School Cafeteria at 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- March 21st at the Holyoke Library Community Room at 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- April 26th at the Holyoke Library Community Room at 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- May 23rd at the Donahue School Cafeteria at 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Attendance Awareness – Please visit our website for attendance resources, including videos, fact sheets, and presentations.