Influenza Vaccine Encouraged for School Attendance: PreK through Grade 12 (remote and in-person learners)
This just in… The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is removing the requirement for flu vaccination for attendance in childcare/preschool, primary, secondary and postsecondary education. Preliminary data show that this has been a mild flu season to date, presumably as people have received their seasonal flu vaccine and have been adhering to mask-wearing and social distancing due to COVID-19. DPH continues to strongly recommend that everyone age six months and older receive their seasonal flu vaccine each year.
Why should my child get the influenza vaccine?
Which students need to receive the influenza vaccine?
When do students need to receive the influenza vaccine?
Is it possible for my child to get the flu from the influenza vaccine (flu shot)?
Are there any exemptions to receiving influenza vaccine?
What type of influenza vaccine can students receive?
What about students who enroll later in the spring?
Do younger students require 2 doses according to ACIP guidelines?
If my school will be providing instruction remotely, will students still need to meet immunization requirements?
Do the flu immunization requirements apply to students that are homeschooled?
Will my school have to report on influenza vaccine in the Kindergarten and Grade 7 school immunization surveys?
Will my school have to report the number of students who received influenza vaccine in the Grade 11 school immunization survey?
Will influenza vaccine be required every year or just for the 2020-2021 school year?
- English & Spanish FLU Fact Sheets
- FLU Social Media CDC ToolKit
- Spanish Language FLU resources
- HPS Nurse Sheneece Velazquez Flu Presentation
- Ad Council: No One Has Time for Flu video
- Seasonal Flu Facts (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
- The Flu Guide (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
- Children & Influenza (Flu)
- Los niños y la influenza
- Is the Flu Shot a Good Idea for Your Family?
- ¿La vacuna antigripal es una buena idea para su familia?
- Does My Child Need a Flu Shot?
- ¿Mi hijo necesita una vacuna antigripal inyectable este año?