Influenza Vaccine Requirement for School Attendance: Kindergarten through Grade 12
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health has indicated that beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, influenza vaccine will be required for all students. Influenza vaccine is always important to receive to reduce the risk of getting sick with influenza, reduce the severity of disease if one does get sick (including the risk of hospitalization) due to influenza, as well as preventing the spread of influenza to others. During the COVID-19 pandemic, influenza vaccine will be especially critical to reduce the overall impact of respiratory illness on the population, protect vulnerable populations from severe illness, and decrease the overall burden on the healthcare system.
Why should my child get the influenza vaccine?
Which students need to receive the influenza vaccine?
When do students need to receive the influenza vaccine?
Is it possible for my child to get the flu from the influenza vaccine (flu shot)?
Are there any exemptions to receiving influenza vaccine?
What type of influenza vaccine can students receive?
What about students who enroll after December 31, 2020?
What about students who enroll later in the spring?
Do younger students require 2 doses according to ACIP guidelines?
If my school will be providing instruction remotely, will students still need to meet immunization requirements?
Do the flu immunization requirements apply to students that are homeschooled?
Will my school have to report on influenza vaccine in the Kindergarten and Grade 7 school immunization surveys?
Will my school have to report the number of students who received influenza vaccine in the Grade 11 school immunization survey?
Will influenza vaccine be required every year or just for the 2020-2021 school year?
- English & Spanish FLU Fact Sheets
- FLU Social Media CDC ToolKit
- Spanish Language FLU resources
- HPS Nurse Sheneece Velazquez Flu Presentation
- Ad Council: No One Has Time for Flu video
- Seasonal Flu Facts (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
- The Flu Guide (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
- Children & Influenza (Flu)
- Los niños y la influenza
- Is the Flu Shot a Good Idea for Your Family?
- ¿La vacuna antigripal es una buena idea para su familia?
- Does My Child Need a Flu Shot?
- ¿Mi hijo necesita una vacuna antigripal inyectable este año?