For selected groups of students (called “Cohort C”), remote learning cannot effectively meet their educational needs, so the Holyoke Public Schools is offering an in-person learning option. We have worked diligently to put procedures in place that will best suit the needs of its students, families, and staff so that it can continue to provide exceptional learning opportunities in a safe environment.
We will have a staggered start for in-person learning for select students that have been notified by the district. The tentative schedule for gradual entry (based on student enrollment and staffing) is:
- September 14: High School programs: CVTE, select special education populations (TIP, RISE, Functional, SHINE), Newcomers (9-12), and Transition Academy
- September 21: Grades K-8 Newcomers, Peck School (TIP, SHINE), Veritas Prep (Functional)
- September 28: STEM Academy (LLD, ABL), Lawrence School (TIP), Sullivan School (RISE, SHINE), Donahue (ABL)
In-Person Learning Overview
In order to keep students and staff who are physically present in our buildings as safe as possible, HPS will implement a detailed plan which includes:
- A personal responsibility Return to School Safety Pledge for Students (PDF) | En Español (PDF) to stay home when ill and follow all other precautions, required of each student, family and staff member.
- Masks required for all staff and students in grades PreK-12, unless prevented due to a medical condition or behavior concern. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for staff members, especially those who work with the most vulnerable students.
- Social distancing in classrooms of at least 6-feet and smaller groups of students in each classroom.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures, including cleaning high-touch surfaces multiple times a day, regular cleaning daily and deep cleaning between cohorts of students.
- Proper ventilation and classes outdoors at the discretion of teachers to promote fresh air.
- Staff training on new safety and health procedures.
- Extremely restricted access to all buildings by non-HPS employees.
- Quick access to COVID-19 testing through local testing sites.
- Contact tracing to quickly inform students, families, and staff if possible exposure to COVID-19 has occurred.
General Overview of In-Person Learning (Corhort C) Schedule
|Time||9-12 Cohort C In-Person|
|7:45-8:15||Arrival at school, handwashing, etc..|
|8:45-8:55||Squad / check ins / advisory|
|9:00-1:00||4 Content Class Sessions (students attend any gen ed classes assigned via zoom)|
|*Lunch in the classroom included during this time|
|1:00||Dismissal – arrive home by 2:00|
|2:00-3:00||Remote conferencing, direct services, asynchronous work|
|Time||K-8 Cohort C In-Person|
|8:45- 9:00||Arrival at school, handwashing, etc..|
|9:00- 12:00||SWD – Direct Instruction|
|EL – Join Synchronous Sessions w/support from EL staff|
|12:30-2:00||EL and SWD Direct Instruction|
|2:00- 2:15||Prep for dismissal – handwashing, etc..|
|2:15||Dismissal – arrive home by 3:00|
|*Please note, the Veritas remote learning schedule may vary slightly. Contact Veritas with questions.|