This innovative program offers language acquisition opportunities in English and Spanish; research-based curriculum that is aligned with the district’s benchmarks and state’s curriculum framework. The mission of dual language is to prepare linguistically and culturally competent students for a globalized world. The Holyoke Public Schools is offering open enrollment opportunities for students entering Pre‐K through grade 3. Contact Amy Burke with questions at 413-534-2104 or email@example.com.
Academic/Cognitive Benefits include:
- Higher academic achievement in school
- Higher levels of second language proficiency
- Higher results on state standardized tests
- Higher level of critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Higher flexible thinking abilities and enhanced creativity
- Greater understanding of other cultures
- Greater acceptance of others
- Greater appreciation of personal heritage
More Information About Dual Language
How long does it take to learn a new language?
BICS -Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills= 1-3 years
CALPS – Cognitive Academic Language Learning Skills= 3-7 years