Join the Summer Reading and Math Learning Challenges Today!
Summer Reading Challenge
Letter to Families (PDF) with detailed information | (En Español) (PDF) | Flyer (PDF)| En Español (PDF)
The PreK – Grade 8 Challenge:
- Read at least 20 minutes a day
- Have a parent/guardian initial the reading calendar (below) for each day of reading
- List up to 10 of your favorite books that you have read
- Return it to your school by September 7th
- Reading Calendar
- Recommended Reading List PK-8
The High School Challenge:
The 2019 Holyoke Public Schools Summer Reading Challenge is part of a city-wide campaign for summer reading.
- All students that return the Summer Reading Challenge will be eligible to win a tablet.
- The school with the highest percentage of calendars turned in will receive a School Wide Treat of an ice cream party or pizza party.
- If students across the city read at least 2 million minutes (the bar has been raised), city officials will return to the dunk tank at Celebrate Holyoke!
Math Summer Learning Challenge (information and tracking sheet (PDF))
We challenge all students entering grades 1-8 to work on their skills throughout the summer. Students may work online (utilizing programs from the list in the flyer (PDF)), complete summer practice workbooks (like the kind you find in stores), study flashcards, play board & dice games that involve math, or attend summer school. We ask that students keep track of the time they committed on the tracking sheet (PDF). They must bring this tracking sheet (PDF) to school with them by Friday, September 6 in order to be recognized. Any student who logs at least 8 hours will be entered into a raffle for a scooter or a bicycle.
Additional summer resources:
Summer Bus Schedules
Bus schedules for students who are eligible for summer transportation are provided below. If you have any questions regarding your child’s transportation or transportation eligibility, please contact Denise
The start of the 2019-20 school year is right around the corner. Check out our back to school web page for important information such as key dates, school start and end times, and upcoming school year highlights.
Extended Year Services for Eligible Students
Your child is eligible for this program if indicated in their IEP. Program information and brochure.