While we are hopeful that the weather will not have a significant impact on our schedule, we want to make sure that everyone has the information needed in the event of inclement weather or other emergency this school year. When conditions warrant, we will at times close the district, delay the start of school or release students early. Additionally, this year, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has issued new guidance allowing districts the additional option of providing a remote learning snow day. It is very important that our students receive as much instructional time as possible. Therefore, on remote learning snow days, the HPS will close the facilities to students due to inclement weather, however, all students and instructional staff will participate in remote learning that counts as an instructional day. As a reminder, the option for remote learning snow days is in addition to the existing delayed opening, district closure, and early release options.
Furthermore, we want to provide you with information on our communication efforts about delays, early releases, closings, and remote learning snow days. Please know that we will do our best to make decisions by 5:30 AM, and when able, the evening before.
We will use email and the district’s BlackBoard Connect messaging system to alert families. The announcement will also be posted in the following locations:
- HPS district website
- HPS Facebook
- HPS Twitter
- News Outlets: WesternMass News, Channel 22, NECN, and Masslive
Ultimately, decisions about school cancelation, remote learning snow days, delays or early releases are made in conjunction with the Holyoke Department of Public Works, neighboring communities and our Chief Financial and Operations Officer. In assessing the forecast, student safety is always the most important consideration. At the same time, we believe that students should be in class whenever possible and hope to avoid as many interruptions as we can. Please note, meals will not be available on traditional snow days or remote learning snow days; we will try to distribute food in advance when possible and will communicate accordingly.
- Parents/Guardians, if you do not receive an automated call or email from BlackBoard Connect (the district’s messaging system), it is because your updated phone number and/or email address is not in our system. In the event that this occurs, please complete this form https://bit.ly/2PGTKgQ
Delayed Start OR Early Release Schedule
Please be aware, Holyoke Public Schools is preparing for weather emergencies. In an effort to safeguard our students and staff, Holyoke Public Schools may implement the following 2 or 3-Hour Delayed Opening or Early Release Schedule for Students. When this happens the following schedule will be followed:
2 or 3-Hour Delayed Opening for Students
- On days that are called 2- or 3-hour delayed opening for students, students begin school 2 or 3 hours later than normal. For safety reasons, no students should arrive at school prior to the delayed opening.
- Breakfast will still be served
- Students who are transported by buses will be picked up 2 to 3 hours later than they are picked up on regular school days. (Example: If your child is picked up at 7:00 AM, they will be picked up at 9:00 AM.)
- Holyoke Public Schools will follow the regular dismissal
- After School Activities will continue as scheduled
See chart below for delayed opening times and please make necessary arrangements.
2- or 3-Hour Early Release for Students
On days that are called: 2- or 3-Hour Early Release/Dismissal for students, students are dismissed from school 2 or 3 hours earlier than normal.
- Lunch will be served to students before dismissal.
- Please note that there will be no afternoon pre-kindergarten and that after-school programs will be canceled.
Please take a minute to watch this video message covering Remote Learning Snow Days and answering the questions:
- What are remote learning snow days?
- How are decisions made about school cancellation, remote learning snow days, delayed opening, and early release?
- When and how will this information be communicated?
Dr. Vázquez Matos’ 10-29-20 Letter to HPS Community about cancellations, remote learning snow days, early releases, delayed starts
UPDATE: Effective January 19th for all Cohorts, Student School Day Hours for Remainder of SY20-21 shifted. Please read this post for more information and check in on your school’s web page. This will effect the times reflected in the chart below. Please note, the school hours for the 2021-22 School Year will change slightly.
Normal Start Times, Delayed Start Times, and Early Release Times
|SCHOOL NAME||Normal START Time||2 Hour Delay START Time||3 Hour Delay START Time|
|HHS Dean Campus||7:55 AM||9:55 AM||10:55 AM|
|HHS North Campus||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|E.N. White||7:55 AM||9:55 AM||10:55 AM|
|McMahon||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Peck||7:55 AM||9:55 AM||10:55 AM|
|Donahue||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Kelly||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Lawrence||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Metcalf||7:55 AM||9:55 AM||10:55 AM|
|Morgan||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|STEM||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Sullivan||9:00 AM||11:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Veritas Prep||7:50 AM||9:50 AM||10:50 AM|
|School Name||Normal END Time||2 Hour Early Release END Time||3 Hour Early Release END Time and Half Day Release Time|
|HHS Dean Campus*||1:55 PM||11:55 AM||10:55 AM|
|HHS North Campus**||3:00 PM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|E.N. White||1:55 PM||11:55 PM||10:55 AM|
|McMahon||3:00 PM||01:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Peck||1:55 PM||12:40 PM||11:40 AM|
|Donahue||3:00 PM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Kelly||3:00 PM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Lawrence||3:00 PM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Metcalf||1:55 PM||11:55 AM||10:55 AM|
|Morgan||3:00 PM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|STEM||3:00 PM||01:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Sullivan||3:00 PM||1:00 PM||12:00 PM|
|Veritas Prep***||2:05 PM||12:05 PM||11:05 AM|
*Holyoke High School Dean Campus has Early Release Wednesdays at 1:40 PM.
**Holyoke High School North Campus has Early Release Wednesdays at 2:05 PM
*** Veritas Prep has Early Release Wednesdays at 1:00 PM.