Dear HPS Families:
While we are hopeful that the weather will not have a significant impact on our schedule this year, we wanted to provide you with information on our communication efforts about delays and closings. Please know that we will do our best to make decisions by 5:30 AM and when able, the evening before.
We will use email and the phone message system to alert families and staff about delays or closings. The announcement will also be posted in the following locations on the web and television:
- The HPS district website: https://www.hps.holyoke.ma.us/
- The HPS Facebook https://www.facebook.com/holyokepublicschools/
- On Twitter: https://twitter.com/SzrikeHPS
- News Outlets: WesternMass News ABC 40, CBS 3, FOX 6, NBC WWLP Channel 22, NECN, and Masslive
If you do not receive an automated call or email from BlackBoard Connect (the district’s messaging system), it is because your updated phone number and/or email address is not in our system. In the event that this occurs, please contact the main office at your child’s school.
When weather conditions warrant, we will at times delay the start of school or release students early. If school is delayed, we ask that students report to school no sooner than fifteen minutes before the adjusted start time.
Ultimately, decisions about school cancellation and/or delays are made in conjunction with the Holyoke Department of Public Works, neighboring communities and our Chief of Finance and Operations. In assessing the forecast, student safety is always the most important consideration. At the same time, we believe that students should be in class whenever possible and hope to avoid as many interruptions as we can. Thank you for your continued support as we endeavor to communicate with your family in a timely and efficient fashion about the weather.
Dr. Stephen Zrike, Superintendent / Receiver
Delayed Start OR Early Release Schedule
Please be aware, Holyoke Public Schools is preparing for weather emergencies. In an effort to safeguard our students and staff, Holyoke Public Schools may implement the following 2 or 3-Hour Delayed Opening or Early Release Schedule for Students. When this happens the following schedule will be followed:
2 or 3-Hour Delayed Opening for Students
- On days that are called: 2 or 3-Hour delayed opening for students – Students begin school 2 or 3 hours later than normal – breakfast will still be served, for safety reasons, no students should arrive at school prior to the delayed opening
- If it is a 2-3 hour delayed opening for students – Students who are transported by buses will be picked up 2 to 3 hours later than they are picked up on regular school days. (Example; If your child is picked up at 7:00 AM, he/she will be picked up at 9:00 AM. )
- Holyoke Public Schools will follow the regular dismissal
- After School Activities will continue as scheduled
See chart below for delayed opening times and please make necessary arrangements.
2 or 3-Hour Early Release for Students –
On days that are called: 2 or 3-Hour Early Release/ Dismissal for students – Students are dismissed from school 2 or 3 hours earlier than normal.
- Lunch will be served to students before dismissal.
- Please note that there will be no afternoon pre-kindergarten and that after-school programs will be canceled.
Normal Start Times, Delayed Start Times, and Early Release Times
|SCHOOL NAME||Normal START Time||2 Hour Delay START Time||3 Hour Delay START Time|
|HHS Dean Campus||7:45 AM||9:45 AM||10:45 AM|
|HHS North Campus||8:10 AM||10:10 AM||11:10 AM|
|E.N. White||7:40 AM||9:40 AM||10:40 AM|
|McMahon||7:40 AM||9:40 AM||10:40 AM|
|Peck||7:35 AM||9:35 AM||10:35 AM|
|Donahue||8:30 AM||10:30 AM||11:30 AM|
|Kelly||8:30 AM||10:30 AM||11:30 AM|
|Lawrence||8:30 AM||10:30 AM||11:30 AM|
|Metcalf||7:40 AM||9:40 AM||10:40 AM|
|Morgan||8:30 AM||10:30 AM||11:30 AM|
|STEM||7:45 AM||9:45 AM||10:45 AM|
|Sullivan||8:30 AM||10:30 AM||11:30 AM|
|Veritas Prep||7:35 AM||9:35 AM||10:35 AM|
|School Name||Normal END Time||2 Hour Early Release END Time||3 Hour Early Release END Time and Half Day Release Time|
|HHS Dean Campus*||2:30 PM||12:30 PM||11:30 AM|
|HHS North Campus**||2:55 PM||12:55 PM||11:55 AM|
|E.N. White||2:45 PM||12:45 PM||11:45 AM|
|McMahon||2:45 PM||12:45 PM||11:45 AM|
|Peck||2:40 PM||12:40 PM||11:40 AM|
|Donahue||3:35 PM||1:35 PM||12:35 PM|
|Kelly||3:35 PM||1:35 PM||12:35 PM|
|Lawrence||3:35 PM||1:35 PM||12:35 PM|
|Metcalf||2:45 PM||12:45 PM||11:45 PM|
|Morgan||3:35 PM||1:35 PM||12:35 PM|
|STEM||2:50 PM||12:50 PM||11:50 AM|
|Sullivan||3:35 PM||1:35 PM||12:35 PM|
|Veritas Prep***||3:35 PM||1:35 PM||12:35 PM|
*Holyoke High School Dean Campus has Early Release Wednesdays at 1:40 PM.
**Holyoke High School North Campus has Early Release Wednesdays at 2:05 PM
*** Veritas Prep has Early Release Wednesdays at 1:00 PM.