Proposed Middle School Buildings
The City of Holyoke and the Holyoke Public Schools (HPS), with the support of the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA), is proposing to build two new middle schools in Holyoke. When complete in 2022, every middle school student in Holyoke would be in a new, 21st-century school. If approved by voters, these two new buildings would be open beginning in the fall of 2022. The need for middle schools was identified through a community process in 2017.
- Proposed Middle School Buildings Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
- Proposed Middle School Buildings PowerPoint presentation from the May 25th meeting (PDF) En Español (PDF) (If you’re interested in getting more involved, please reach out to the Design Team at Jones Whitsett Architects by emailing email@example.com.)
- Middle School Buildings Proposal Flyer (PDF)
- Letter from Dr. Zrike about the future of school facilities.
About Middle School Redesign
Middle school students deserve experiences, tailored to their developmental stage, as they progress from elementary school towards high school. We are enhancing the middle school experience for all middle school students by offering more enrichment programming, designed to strengthen their academic and social emotional skills and engage them more deeply in school. For example, since 2016, we partnered with Holyoke Codes to offer a computer science coding experience to students in grades 7 – 8.
We have also introduced new middle school models. In fall 2016, we piloted and then expanded Summit Learning at Peck, a personalized learning program based off the Summit Schools model in California. In fall 2018, we also opened two new middle school options by co-locating with existing schools. Veritas Prep Holyoke is run by an in-district operator (which currently runs one of the state’s highest performing schools in Springfield) and Holyoke STEM Academy is run by HPS and was a theme selected due to community interest and alignment to the high school linked learning academies.
After an analysis and community process to solicit feedback on our PreK-8 portfolio of schools, we are working with the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) and City of Holyoke to pursue the design and construction (pending voter approval) of two new middle schools on a site next to the current Lawrence School and to replace the current Peck Middle School.
HPS Middle Schools
Holyoke STEM Academy is a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) school, where students engage in hands-on learning, such as coding and robotics, and develop strong problem solving and communication skills. STEM Academy is a potential pipeline into two of our science-themed linked learning academies at Holyoke High School.
Veritas Prep Holyoke is a college prep middle school, where our close-knit community sets high expectations for all students and provides them with daily tutoring and customized supports.
Summit Learning is a personalized approach to teaching and learning. It is a way for students to unlock the power within themselves to live fulfilled and successful lives. Summit Learning gives every student: support from a caring mentor, life skills that they can apply to real-world situations, and an ability to use self-direction to develop self-confidence, understand their own strengths and weaknesses, and prepare themselves for life after graduation.
As part of our vision of a pathway for every student, HPS has four middle school options programs for which students and families can apply for SY19-20. Apply today!
Middle School Options for Out-of-Zone Students
We will begin accepting applications for SY19-20 in June. If you are interested in joining one of these middle school options for SY18-19, visit the Student Enrollment and Family Empowerment Center to submit an application for the waitlist.
Recent Press Releases and News Coverage
- Masslive 3-15-19 – Holyoke- Charter Committee Holds Off on Special Election, Middle School Funding Debate Continues
- Press release 8-30-18 -Holyoke Gets Green Light from State to Move Forward with Designing Two New Middle School Buildings
- WWLP News 8-30-18 – State approves designing of 2 new middle school buildings in Holyoke
- Masslive News 8-26-18 – Holyoke Public Schools launch middle school programs
- The Sun 3-15-18 – Two new middle schools to open
- WesternMass News 3-12-18 – Holyoke Public School District holds informational session on new middle schools
- Masslive News 3-8-2018 – 2 new middle schools to open in existing buildings in Holyoke
Middle School Redesign
Proposed New Middle School Buildings Videos
Get an overview of the process, plans, financing, and city council meeting.