The National Weather Service has issued a Heat Advisory beginning Thursday morning and lasting until Friday afternoon. Heat index values from 95 to 104 degrees are expected Thursday and Friday, with the worst conditions from noon to 6 p.m. Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat illnesses to occur.
Remember to drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.
If you're looking for a place to stay cool, here are some local options:
- Holyoke Library is open until 6 p.m. on Thursday and 4 p.m. on Friday
- The Holyoke Senior Center is open until 4 p.m. on Thursday and Friday
- The Holyoke Mall is open until 8 p.m. on Thursday and 9 p.m. on Friday
All three locations are air conditioned, free to enter and are accessible via public transportation.
Free, cold, bottled water will be available at the Library and Senior Center on Thursday and Friday.
If you're looking to spend time outside:
Pouliot Pool has Open Swim from 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
Splash pads are open at Holyoke Parks:
- Carlos Vega Park - Clemente & Hamilton StCommunity Field - Community Rd
- Chestnut St Park - Chestnut & Sargeant St
- Springdale Park - Main St
- Pulaski Park - St. Kolbe Dr (Lyman St)
- Pina Park - East Dwight St & Center St
- Heritage State Park - Dwight St (Dept. Conservation & Recreation)