Our continued transformation efforts set our students on a pathway of excellence, prepared for college, career and community leadership.
Every student deserves an excellent education. We are creating learning opportunities that nurture, engage and ensure that our young people are poised to excel in college, career and community leadership. Since the beginning of the turnaround efforts, signature initiatives include:
- A full school day with more enrichment, academic and social/emotional opportunities for students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade
- Redesigning the high school experience, which included the launch of a Freshman Academy for a more personalized entry to high school and the launch of theme-based Linked Learning Academies, designed to ignite student interest and connect learning to the real world
- An expansion of programs to provide students and families with more choice for their education, including a dual language program (expanding to PreK-7 in fall 2021), new middle school options (including Holyoke STEM Academy and Veritas Prep Holyoke) and dual enrollment and early college opportunities for high school students
- Enhanced standards-based curricular resources in English Language Arts, Mathematics and Science (grades PreK-8)
- Breakfast in the Classroom to ensure students have a healthy start to the day and are ready to learn
These efforts are leading to improvements in student learning and engagement. Since being in receivership, the District has experienced many promising successes, including a 10-point increase in graduation rates and a 53-point decrease in the number of students who drop-out. The number of students accessing PreK programming has nearly doubled, students accessing early college programming has increased 85%, and the district has invested over $17 Million in the physical infrastructure of our buildings.