Health, Wellness, & Nursing
728 Main Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
Phone: (413) 534-2000, x1221
Cynthia Carbone, MEd, MSN, RN, Director of Health, Wellness, & Nursing
Holyoke Public Schools supports comprehensive health education, nutrition services, physical activity, health services, mental health services, health promotion, school and family/community relationships, and a healthy environment. Improved health optimizes student attendance and academic performance. The district strives to equip students and their families with the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy choices in their daily lives.
When possible and as appropriate, families should administer their child’s medications, treatments, and procedures at home whenever possible.
State guidelines prohibit nebulizer treatments at school during the COVID-19 pandemic since nebulizer treatments can increase the risk of the virus being aerosolized.
Children who require any of the following during school hours should have them available to them at school: emergency medication such as (but not limited to) an epinephrine autoinjector (EpiPen), asthma inhaler, seizure medication, diabetic supplies, other medication, treatment, or items needed for a procedure.
Medications, procedures, and treatments at school require current written orders and the signature of a parent or guardian.
If your child needs medication, procedure or treatment during the school day, a current and proper order from a licensed prescriber must be given to the nurse at your child’s school before the student enters or re-enters school. Orders will be renewed as needed, including at the beginning of each academic year. Contact your child’s school nurse for more information or if you have questions.
Medication Information and Forms
School Nurses are key members of the education team and leaders of school health who keep students healthy, safe and ready to learn. Healthy children attend school regularly, participate in their classes and do better on assignments and tests. Holyoke Public School nurses help make this happen!
Morgan – Camille Lopez, RN firstname.lastname@example.org,
phone: 413-493-1667, fax: 413-540-2426
- HPS Wellness Policy | En Español
- Healthy Recipes for Families
- Protecting Children from Abduction (PDF) | En Español (PDF)
- Emergency Care Planning during COVID-19 and Beyond for Children and Youth with Special Healthcare Needs
- Stay Aware Be Prepared Website
- West Nile Virus Information | En Español
- Free, Family, Fun Ideas| En Español
- Social & Emotional Development Parent Toolkit
- Chickenpox Fact Sheet | En Español
- Dental Providers in the Greater Holyoke Area (PDF)
- Facts for Parents about E-cigarettes and Vaping | En Español
- Menstrual Equity and Feminine Hygiene Products HPS ensures that tampons and pads are available to all students in grades 6 in school health offices. In this way, students are provided feminine hygiene options in a private and respectful manner. Both tampons and pads are available to students free of charge.
- Great Body Shop Comprehensive Health Education Curriculum
- Let’s Move Holyoke! 5-2-1-0 A Moverse Holyoke! 5-2-1-0
- Head Lice Information – Head Lice (Pediculosis) Policy (PDF) / En Español (PDF) / MA DPH Head Lice Fact Sheet (PDF) / En Español (PDF)